Saturday, April 24, 2010

CHAPTER TEN FINALLY.

Chapter Ten








Turns out we had to take a jet to my new home. I got on, all zoned-out-like. Why was I being so calm? I figured I was in a dream and that I’d wake up… hopefully soon.
Once on the jet, I realized only Miss. Stevens, Blake, and I would be in there. Happy it was only a dream, I sat down, purposely as far away from Blake as possible. Suddenly his presence freaked me out- I mean he got me sick. Plus, he looked intimidating and angry.
Contemplative, I looked out the window. Why was this dream so realistic? When was I going to be startled awake?
The whole situation felt like a giant soap opera, I couldn’t help thinking. It was almost too much.
The room suddenly shook, signaling take off (or whatever you call it when a plane begins to fly) and we lurched forward, rising slowly and dramatically. My stomach sunk lower, giving me an empty void feeling. Where were we going? Stomach burning again, I thought angrily what did it matter? I’m dead anyways.
Curiosity got the better of me. Pretending it were only her and I, I asked Miss. Stevens, “Where are we going?”
Without looking at me, she said calmly, “I’ll tell you once we reach the destination.”
Rumbling of air pressure and silence.
Rolling my eyes, I snap, “And what about home? Am I just dead? What?”
Turning her head, Miss. Stevens replied, “Your files say you have passed away, and soon- to the human world- you won’t exist.”
To the human world, the words whispered, you won’t exist.
“Human world?” I breathed. The thoughts depressed me. I didn’t like this dream at all- this was now a nightmare. Fatigue wasn’t an issue, but I closed my eyes anyways. I think my brain was starting to explode and ooze out my ears. I inhaled for a few minutes, the airplane steadily rumbling. How was I supposed to react to this? Should I be screaming? Should I have just said, “Oh, cool.” Or maybe, pulled a huge dramatic scene where I sob uncontrollably?
I squint my eyes, they were still sensitive to the light. I hadn’t noticed, but it had been a bit cloudy that day, but now that we were above the clouds, the sun was blazing into my window. My skin on my hand suddenly felt warm, like as though I had been out all day, slowly getting sun burnt. Then, I felt like I touched something white hot, causing me to yelp in shock. Leaping out of my seat, I stumbled and fell onto the jet’s floor. I stared at my hand, which now was an angry red, in complete awe and horror.
Miss Stevens leapt from her seat and knelt beside me and began examining my hand, “Oops, I forgot to mention-!”
“That I’m a freakin’ vampire that will burn and die in the sun?” I barked, snatching my hand away from her view.
“No, you see, when you become a vampire the pigment from your skin is taken out, and it’s easier to be sun burnt,” she explained hurriedly, so I wouldn’t yell at her again.
“Pigment? Are you saying I’m an Albino now?” My voice squeaked at the end of the sentence.
“Uh, I would guess so,” Miss Stevens looked nervously away, toward Blake, who I noticed was standing up staring down at me, with a hint of amusement painted on his handsome face. Infuriated, I glared his way. He didn’t know how bad that hurt me, his being amused at my freakin’ pain that he technically gave me. Standing up, I sat down in a seat and drew the blinds down, feeling totally pissed.
“Anything else you’d like to tell me, before I realize that I have leprosy and my limbs start falling off or something?” I lightly rubbed my burning hand.
“Well, I was going to wait till we got there to explain most of your new predicament,” Miss Stevens sighed as though she were the one who was having the longest day of her life. Uh, no, “But I guess it wouldn’t hurt to explain a bit now.”
“Wish you would,” I muttered, earning myself a look from Stevens.
“Well, since you no longer need to breathe, you can go longer distances without feeling out of breath, and you have more strength due to the more, excuse my phrasing, animalistic part of your disease. Your sight will improve over time, and your appetite will also… differ.”
“Differ as in…?” I prompted, though I knew the dreaded answer.
“Vampire bats menu is mainly… blood. That’s why you developed new canine teeth that were sharper and stronger, assuming you would hunt for your own prey. And your smell is more inclined toward your… preferred meal.”
That’s when I realized it, when I suddenly inhaled because I knew what she was talking about. She smelt good because I wanted to eat her?
“So… do I eat… people?” I asked, scared to death. I looked to Blake, even though I was totally mad at him, to find him looking out the window (he was on the opposite side where the sun wasn’t blinding him or burning him to a crisp) completely ignoring me.
“How about we talk about this later, I’m tired from having to make the flight over here,” Stevens abruptly suggested. She got up and went through a little door that led to who-knows-where. Blake and I were left alone, in what would be silence, if there wasn’t a giant jet sound taking in the empty space.
I stared at him, watched him, as he tried to pretend that I wasn’t there. I glared at the side of his face for some time, and then leaned my head against my seat. Sleeping seemed like my best bet, since I wasn’t really in a talking-to-someone-I-hate kind of mood. So, I shut my eyes and pretended I was in a deep sleep, even though my mind was wide awake, thoughts taking laps through my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment