Monday, April 5, 2010

Here's the rest of Chapter Five

When it was around eleven something I knew he’d be here soon. Hopefully.
Frazzled from anxiety, the bell made me jump a foot off my chair. Then, showing I was still my nerdy self, I choked on my saliva and began to cough uncontrollably. After my little spazz party, I looked at my customer. Whoa-
“Kelly?” I gasp.
She nodded solemnly. Did she know I knew?
“Why… why are you here?” I managed awkwardly.
Kelly stared at me with her sad blue eyes. I knew something was eating her as she continued to look at me. Just cause we hadn’t spoke to each other in forever doesn’t mean I forgot all her quirky traits.
I heard her inhale before she murmured, “Roxy… I… Me and Griffin… we’ve gotten to be good friends.”
Friends? I thought, Hm, sure. “Oh?”
“Yeah,” she assured me, “And we both realized that we have… feelings for each other.”
“Really?” I mocked.
She narrowed her eyes, “He told me he loved me.”
I laughed harshly, sarcasm dripping from every sound, “He loves you? He told you that? And you believed him?”
“You don’t know him!” Kelly screeched. I nodded my head, pretending to think, “Huh, no, I do. This morning you know what he told me?”
She acted angry, though I knew she was curious. Not making eye contact, she picked at the counter.
“He told me,” I growled, “He wanted a compromise. You know what about?”
Still not looking at me, she shook her head, blonde curls bobbing.
Bracing myself for the hurt, I told her, “He said either we get back together or… he…he… molests you.”
Kelly hid the blow well enough, not letting her face tug at any emotion, but as she spoke, I knew she was close to tears, “It’s not a rape,” she sobbed, “If both of us agreed to it.”
Oh man, Kelly, no, “Kelly, he doesn’t love you! He just… is… Kelly it kills me to say this, but he’s using you.”
Suddenly, something flashed in her eyes. A glint of hurt, fear, and anger, “Is that all I’m good for? Is that it? No one could really love me? I mean, who could ever love me! Obviously not her friend!” Her voice raised dramatically.
“Kelly, I do love you, and I don’t want to see you hurt! I’m trying to help you! Trying to save your freakin’ virtue!”
“Roxy, we both know that you can’t stop me and Griffin… our love. So give this (uh, crap, yeah, she said crap) a rest.” She began to exit and I began to follow her, getting wobbly again.
“Kelly!” I called after her, but she totally ignored me. Frustrated, I shouted, “KELLY.” Then, my mind seemed to be shot. Time slowed. Kelly’s blonde hair was swooping through the door, as the earth began tilting, slowly my view was being turned sideways. First it was right-side-up, then slanted, and suddenly my head was against the floor. Pain finally registered and my whole side was numb, throbbing.
I heard some one yell orders and people’s faces began to crowd over me, searching my face. Then black began to shade the edges of my sight. Eyes closing the last face I saw was… his, looking completely terrified, concerned.
“Blake,” I tried, but it came out as a breath. The last breath of my consciousness.

5 comments: