Thursday, April 8, 2010

What happened?

Chapter Seven





Agony. It had stopped a long time ago. I think. I thought. Because after my ears stopped feeling like they were going to split apart, they were working again, but all sounds hurt them.
I listened, because my eyes wouldn’t open, as though my eyelids were glued together, and didn’t flinch. My body wouldn’t move either. I was frozen. Freaky.
Then, I heard it. Crying. Who? Why?
My mom was gasping between sobs. She was in hysterics. Why? Did she think I was dead? She didn’t know I was okay?
I tried to open my eyes and mouth to tell her that I was, in fact, fine, but my body wasn’t mine to control still.
“Ma’am,” came a calming, deep, and soothing voice, “I’m sorry... but… she’s gone.”
Huh? Who? Me? No, I’m alive!
“No!” My mom mimicked my thoughts, “No, no, no! N-not my baby!”
Mom! My mind was screaming for her, Mom, I’m alive!
I heard her sob. Hard.
“Ma’am,” the Doctor repeated, “For professional purposes, we have to keep her here, and do the proper procedures. With the disease she had… we… we have to cremate the body.”
Whaaaat? Cremate? Oh sh-!
My mom gasped, “What? N-no, why?”
“The disease is too contagious, it’s a health hazard to have you in here now, we must keep you out of the room.”
“But, my baby-!” Mom cried.
“I’m sorry, Ma’am…”
“Roxy…,” came her last sob that I ever heard from her, ever again.
Mom. Mom! Mom? Come back, save me from being burned alive! Moooom! My mind screamed helplessly. What was going to happen next? I passed out for, like, five minutes and they decide I’m dead? I think they took more preparation to declare someone dead back in the 1800’s than these people did now! How do I prove myself not dead, though, when I can’t even move?
So I waited, but I think stress made me pass out. It’s hard to tell the difference when your eyes are always closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment