Friday, May 28, 2010

Things have been slow...

So, um, I haven't got much more written being that I have been out and about of late! SO Here's what I do have:

In mid-chew, I saw someone come up to my table out of the corner of my eye. I look up to find a girl about my age holding a trey in her hands which had legit jewelry covering them. Her corky outfit told me she wasn’t too concerned about the fact I was new here, and her Converse told me she was pretty cool herself. Here hazel eyes fit her round freckled face, and polite smile. And the brunette hair gave her the ‘girl-next-door’ kind of look.
“Hey,” she said to me, tapping on her trey.
I stared at her and chewed slowly. “Am I at your table or something?” I asked, mouth full.
She laughed, not at all offended, “No, just making conversation. Mind if I sit?”
Raising an eyebrow, I said suspiciously, “Go ahead.”
She sat down across from me and began eating. Just like that. It was kind of… cool.
“Do you mind if some of my other friends come over and eat here with us?” She asked, even though I saw her already waving to someone over my shoulder.
“Sure.” I began picking at my food again, eyeing her confusedly. When she looked back at me, she saw my expression and laughed again.
“Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I’m Clara. Clara Griffin.” She said, offering her hand. I took it cautiously and shook it.
“Roxy,” I replied, then saw someone come up beside me. She looked twelve and she wore a skirt and blue sweater. Her gingery-brown hair was wavy and adorable and went to the middle of her back. She sat promptly next to Clara and was smiling like she had no care in the world. Which, she probably doesn’t.
“This is Emmy; she lives down my same hall. Which, I think you do too, right?” Clara said, beginning to eat her food. I thought about it before saying, “Oh, yeah. Stevens mentioned your name, but she can’t remember your roommates name, are you…?” I look at the girl named Emmy.
“Nope!” the girl answered happy enough, “I’m with my sister, Zoey! Though, I’d prefer to be with Clara. Zoey doesn’t like… colors too much. Or people either.”
I smirked, “Oh, I met her upstairs. She ever gone to Juvi?”
The girl let out a giggle, “No. She’s not that bad, just in her attitude.”
I nodded. These people seemed cool enough. Then I heard Clara mutter under her breath, “Oooh boy. Here comes Justin.”
I took a casual glance over my shoulder to see a tall, dirty-blonde haired boy coming toward our table. He wore normal-looking clothes, and wasn’t hideous, so I wondered what the boys’ damage could have been. Then-
“He-ey guys!” He sang as he approached. Maybe he was gay?
“Hey Justin,” The two grumbled without looking at him.
“How’s it goin’?” He sat down, picked up a roll and took a huge bite out of it. He looked up and saw me. Eyebrows raising, he talked over his roll, “And who’s this?”
“Someone wa-ay out of your league,” Clara rolled her eyes. Emmy laughed openly.
“Ha-ha,” He said sarcastically, “What’s your name?” He asked me.
“Roxy,” I replied monotonously.
“R-r-r-roxy!” He rolled his tongue on the ‘r’, totally creeping me out. I nodded, trying not to look too scared.
“Justin is a computer nerd,” Emmy told me, looking me straight in the eye, “And he also believes in aliens.”
Justin retorted as he got red suddenly, “I do not! And I’m not a nerd! But if I did believe in aliens, what’s so weird about that? We’re Vampires!” He had a point.
“Yeah, but Vampires aren’t green with eight eyes that shoot out toxic acid out of them,” Clara snickered. Justin just glared her way and I didn’t try and hide my amused smile.
I guess I looked a little too enthusiastic in my eating, because Clara asked, “You enjoying your food?”
I smiled, “Ha, yeah, guess I am. It’s, like, unusually good. Aren’t Vampires supposed to eat… ya know?”
She nodded, Emmy copying her unintentionally, “You would think, but they’ve got these super geniuses who figured out how to put the same nutrients we need… into our food.”
“You mean, it’s like we’re eating blood?” I asked solemnly.
“Yeah, pretty much.”
“I’ve suddenly lost my appetite.” I scoot my try from myself. All three laughed, but didn’t argue that I should continue eating. So I sat there and listened to their new conversation. It was actually nice, not thinking too much. About… everything. But of course, life likes to rear its ugly head.
Clara was crumbling her napkin up when she looks up, a grin coming across her face, “Here comes Blake and Kelsey.”
I felt myself stiffen at the name, and the other name. What did she mean by ‘Blake and Kelsey’? Like as in, a couple? I craned my neck to see the two coming toward our table, standing close to each other- as close as one can get with a cafeteria trey in their hand. Suddenly, I felt humiliated and incredibly furious. Blake? A player? What happened to that guy I knew back in New York?
“Hey Blake,” Clara greeted warmly. I just looked at the tables’ streaked top, scraping at it with my nail.
“Hello Clara,” came the amazingly alluring voice of Blake, “Mind if we sit?”
“Oh, Blake, don’t you think-?” I heard the nasally drone of Kelsey whine. I hadn’t heard that voice since the day she screeched out of our room. I bit the inside of my lip, totally annoyed.
“Let’s sit here,” Blake said, interrupting her. I heard them sit their selves beside Emmy.
“Roxy, this is Blake and Kelsey,” Clara began to introduce, but I cut her off short, “Yeah, we’ve met. I share a room with Mrs. Superficial, herself.”
The crowd was shocked into a slight silence, forcing me to make eye-contact. When I looked up, everyone was giving me appalled looks, and Kelsey’s mouth was actually dangling open. The only person who didn’t seem surprised or to care was Blake. He was eating off his trey without looking my way.
“You know what, thanks for coming and sitting by me guys, I’m done here, so I’ll talk to you later.”
I got up and started toward the trash cans, but not before I heard Kelsey whine again, “What is her problem?”
“It’s her first time meeting everyone,” Clara defended, “Give her a break.”
“She seemed cool.”
“Justin, you’re just saying that because you think she’s hot-” I had turned the corner at this point. Mind whirling, I marched to my room. I had to stop thinking so much, or else I was going to turn into those demented poets or something. Yet, with so much free time, there was nothing to do, but think. What did these people do with all of this time?
I paused outside of my room, thinking better of it. If I were to go in my room, I’d lie back in bed and think too much again. I turned around and started walking toward other rooms, being that I didn’t know how huge this place was. Or really anything about it.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You finally wrote more! Happiness!!! :) now write write write you literary genius! I might sound obnoxious telling you to write all the time . But I tellyou that out of love ,Schmanders. I'm on my iPod right now(which explains all of the stupid typing errors) and I'm SUPER bored..... This book is AMAZING goshdagit! But you've spent enough time reading this dumb comment .. GO AND WRITE some more legit crud! Love, Pinhead Larry ...(P}-:)=3 it's a chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Oh, how I love you Silly Pin-head Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what you should do? You totally should have her bump into some other guy, and then she's a bit miffed by him, and he the same, but slightly intrigued by Roxy. Blake would be slightly harder to get to, so yeah.

    Just a random Icewolf thought. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I was thinking about doing something like that, being that I don't know how else to get to those two getting back together... Good thinking Icewolf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *bows* just my writing mind at work! >w<

    ReplyDelete